Regardless of whether you have driven diesel cars most of your life, or have never once gotten behind the wheel of one, you probably are familiar with some common beliefs about how diesel cars work, their benefits and drawbacks and how you should care for them. These beliefs are widespread in our society, but that does not mean all of them are true. To help you separate the fact from the fiction, we have put together this simple guide to diesel engines and diesel engine repair in Fredericktown, OH. Read on to learn more about all things diesel:
- TRUTH: Diesel engines are more fuel-efficient than their gas counterparts. Fortunately for all of us diesel drivers, this one is 100 percent true—so long as your diesel engine is properly cared for. Diesel cars have a higher rate of compression, a better fuel-to-air breakdown, and make use of turbochargers, all of which add up to excellent efficiency rates.
- MYTH: Diesel fuel is so expensive that it isn’t worth the extra efficiency. Gasoline car drivers protecting the status quo love to say this, but it doesn’t hold up very well to examination. Just like gas, diesel prices vary a lot based on the market, and usually the two fuels end up costing within a few cents per gallon of each other.
- TRUTH: Today’s diesel models are nothing like your grandpa’s old diesel truck. The popular culture go-to image for diesel is still that of the 1970s diesel vans. But just as with any other technology, diesel engines have changed a lot over the years. Problems like noisy engines, cold weather sensitivity and slow speeds are now all a thing of the past.
- MYTH: Diesel fuel can be difficult to come by. Sure, not every single gas station you find along the highway is guaranteed to sell diesel fuel. But most of them now do, which is a big improvement on decades past. And with the rise of smartphones and other convenient technology, finding a source for diesel fuel while out on the road is now easier than ever.
- TRUTH: Diesel engines are the more durable option. Many people are afraid to buy a diesel vehicle because they worry about the work that will go into it. But once you own a quality diesel vehicle, you can count on having it for years to come, or at least for much longer than a typical gasoline-operated vehicle.
- MYTH: It’s difficult to find quality diesel mechanics. Just as with any specialty subsection of the market, finding a diesel mechanic might not be as easy as finding a general mechanic for your gas engine. But putting in just a little extra effort to find an experienced, certified and versatile diesel mechanic will likely pay off in the form of a lifelong dependable mechanic for you and your diesel truck.
For more information on diesel engines and diesel engine repair in Fredericktown, OH, get in touch with the team at PurrFormance Diesel today.