If you are an independent long-haul trucker or run a fleet of commercial vehicles, the last thing you want is a breakdown on the road. The trick for preventing this scenario is to anticipate the problem before it occurs. Sometimes, the issues are serious enough that you may consider replacing the rig, but ordering diesel engine rebuilding service in Fredericktown, OH from your repair shop will likely solve your impending issues. If you notice any of these signs, you may want to contact a mechanic about that engine rebuild soon:
- Poor fuel economy: If truck stop visits for refueling become more frequent, that is often the first sign of many issues. It indicates that your engine is running less efficiently, which means the internal parts are struggling to keep up with the use. When fuel economy takes a sudden drop, your next visit needs to be to your diesel mechanic, as this is frequently a precursor to other serious problems.
- Smoke: Most of the world is used to the fumes of commercial rigs, but if those fumes become more intense, you may have a weakened head gasket or other catastrophic issue in development. Just like reduced fuel economy, excessive smoke often suggests other serious problems going on.
- Burning oil: This often arises alongside smoke issues because burned oil lets off fumes that transfer to the exhaust. Another sign of burning oil is if every oil change reveals a low oil level. This is also an efficiency problem that goes way beyond the fact that you drive an older truck. It can also indicate other issues that need attention.
- Engine knocking: The sound of engine knocking arises normally when you are revving up the truck. As acceleration increases, the knocking will get louder. Like burning oil, this is often considered an inevitable part of aging vehicles, but it really indicates serious problems with your engine. If your needed fleet vehicle is making this sound, do not delay getting it into the shop.
- Oil sludge: Coolant can develop sludge, too, and its presence is a definitive sign that you require an engine rebuild. Both oil and coolant sludge indicate that your engine is not working well, and you will likely experience an on-road failure in the near future. Rather than risk becoming stranded, contact your diesel mechanic immediately.
These signs may present in isolation or all together. If they are occurring all at once, you are running on borrowed time. It is easier to rebuild an engine before it fails than after, so address these signs as they arise. Even a minor repair now may prevent a big problem later.
When it comes to your diesel trucks, it is better to be safe than sorry. Find a good diesel mechanic to help you look after your rig or fleet. Purrformance Diesel is a leader in diesel parts and diesel engine rebuilding service in Fredericktown, OH. If it is time for your diesel engine to undergo a rebuild, give us a call to learn about your options.